Saturday, October 30, 2010

Learning to Trust God.

This is being taken right from my email devotions Holiness day by day.
every thing beyond the line is quoted. But the fact that God is in control is what I cling to while going with Sweet Pea though this journey known as PANDAS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Learning to Trust


Today's Scripture: Psalm 62:8
"Trust in him at all times."
It's difficult to believe God is in control when we're in the midst of heartache or grief. I've struggled with this many times myself. Each time I've had to decide if I would trust him, even when my heart ached. I realized anew that we must learn to trust God one circumstance at a time.

It's not a matter of my feelings but of my will. I never feel like trusting God when adversity strikes, but I can choose to do so anyway. That act of the will must be based on belief, and belief must be based on the truth that God is sovereign. He carries out his own good purposes without ever being thwarted, and nothing is outside of his sovereign will. We must cling to this in the face of adversity and tragedy, if we're to glorify God by trusting him.

I'll say this as gently and compassionately as I know how: our first priority in adversity is to honor and glorify God by trusting him. Gaining relief from our feelings of heartache or disappointment or frustration is a natural desire, and God has promised to give us grace sufficient for our trials and peace for our anxieties (2 Corinthians 12:9; Philippians 4:6-7). But just as God's will is to take precedence over our will ("yet not as I will, but as you will" —Matthew 26:39), so God's honor is to take precedence over our feelings. We honor God by choosing to trust him when we don't understand what he is doing or why he has allowed some adverse circumstance to occur. As we seek God's glory, we may be sure he has purposed our good and that he won't be frustrated in fulfilling that purpose. (Excerpt taken from Trusting God)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The text for this devotional comes from the award-winning NavPress devotional book Holiness Day by Day by Jerry Bridges. For more information or to order a copy, visit the NavPress website.

No comments:

Post a Comment